The Somali National University is happy to announce the inaugural conference, themed “Higher Education in post-conflict societies: Challenges and opportunities”. The Consortium of South African Universities for the Somali National University is co-organizing the conference, which will take place in Mogadishu, Somalia on 27-29 July 2016. For more info: http://snuconference2016.com/
The conference aims to provide an international platform to widen and enrich the debate on the role of higher education in post-conflict societies. The conference, consisting of keynote addresses and plenary sessions, will bring together leading academics, researchers, practitioners and policy-makers to share their experiences in Higher education in post-conflict societies. The expected outcome will be an analysis of the challenges and opportunities facing Higher Education in post-conflict societies, particularly Somalia.
Higher education is an indispensible element for any nation as it enhancesa broad range of skills and capabilities to accelerate national development and foster citizenship. In post-conflict nations, higher education plays a critical role in a wide range of post-conflict recovery tasks including re-pooling human capital depleted by war and displacement, and contributes to a long-term sustainable approach to capacity building.
Interested academics, researchers and experts in higher education development are kindly invited to submit abstracts and papers on any of the conference themes. We welcome and strongly encourage new and non-traditional stakeholders to contribute alternate and innovative higher education pathways.
1. Contextualizing higher education in post-conflict societies: Role & relevance
2. Somali higher education: Current state, challenges & opportunities
3. Higher education infrastructure: Investment and expansion
4. Strategic planning: Institutionalizing best practices
5. Quality assurance, accreditation & institutional effectiveness
6. The transformative agenda: Academics and engaged scholarship
7. Knowledge mobility in higher education: Partnership trends & internationalization policies
Abstracts/papers can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstract submission deadline: May 30, 2016
Notification of acceptance: June 10, 2016
Submission of full papers: July 1, 2016
Conference dates: July 27, 28, & 29, 2016